Under the leadership of their president and CEO, the sole mission of our client is to support the automation needs of North and Latin American customers with combined sales, marketing, service, engineering and manufacturing resources. This focused approach is being completed through a facility located in the Northern suburbs of Chicago where all aspects of automation support can be maintained, including manufacturing, engineering, training, customer service, repair, sales and warehousing functions.
Our client is part of a $40 billion global company serving a wide variety of industrial markets with a family of automation products including programmable logic controllers, variable frequency drives, operator interfaces, motion control systems, computer numerical controls, industrial robots, servo amplifiers and motors, and industrial sewing machines. The corporate philosophy of the company includes a commitment not only to providing superior solutions and service to their customers, but also to contributing to the local community and creating a rewarding work environment for its employees.
Our client is seeking a Service Engineer to be responsible for providing technical service and support to their customers. The responsible individual will work and travel from their home office located in Nashville, TN.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical service and support to our customers, including: MTBs, dealers, and end-users, via:
- On-Site service at customer facilities using learned knowledge and experience of electro-mechanical assemblies, system operations, programming, and diagnosing of equipment problems
- In-House telephone support using an automated call distribution network (ACD) with heavy call volume maintaining department goals for time to answer and total log-in time
- Communicate with customers in e-mail, on-line chat and internal technical forums
- Diagnose equipment breakdowns where knowledge of machinery and other automated systems is used to maintain customer UPTIME
- Install components and solutions where knowledge of programming, calibrating, tuning, rebuilding and maintaining customer’ s equipment in the field is being utilized
- Support the in-house systems for diagnostics such as simulators, programming systems, tools, etc.
- Present and sell customers value added services (VAS) to help accomplish their UPTIME goals; CloudCNC, extended warranties, optional functions, machine tuning, control upgrades, training, etc.
- Promote the sales of spare parts to customers which would further assist in their machine UPTIME
- Determine, order, and replace parts as necessary while maintaining the consignment inventory account by following up on the defective and unused parts returns
- Enter all technical claims, service activity, follow ups, and other customer related inquiries into SAP, while maintaining data integrity
- Support the business operations, including:
- Participating in company training programs whereby passing with satisfactory levels
- Create and/or update technical documentation
- Feedback areas of improvement in design to the Technical Support Engineers
- Feedback to management for newly found issues
- Follow up on performed service calls and open technical support claims using established database via company phone and e-mail systems
- Cooperate with and take instruction/ support advice from Senior Engineers
- 50-60% travel based on customer demand, primarily with in region.
Essential Education, Skills and Experience
- BSEET or equivalent related experience
- 0-3 years experience in field service for industrial automation
- Ability to sell value added services to customers
- Knowledgeable on electrical and mechanical tools for machine repair
- Mechanical aptitude
- Hands-on knowledge of volt meters, oscilloscopes, and other test / measuring equipment
- Ability to read and understand technical documentation: schematics, logic, procedures, etc.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to communicate with and maintain effective relationships with customers and colleagues
- Organization skills for arranging travel plans and service call schedule
- Ability to travel by car and plane to on-site service calls
- Ability to be “ on call” to meet customer’ s service needs as they arise
- Ability to perform a hands-on role in an industrial environment, including but not limited to: wearing of proper safety attire, maneuvering into tight locations, occasional heavy lifting and carrying, standing on hard surfaces, and knowledgeable on electrical and mechanical tools for machine repairs
- Team orientation
- Computer proficiency – knowledge of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Customer focused
Beneficial Education, Skills and Experience
- Experience in Computerized Numeric Controls (CNCs) products preferred
- Experience in Motion Controllers (AC and DC) and Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) a plus
- Experience in field service a plus
Compensation and Benefits
Our client offers an extremely competitive salary along with a company vehicle, 401K, Health, Dental and Vision. Employee Life Insurance and Dependent Life Insurance is available along with Short Term Disability, vacation days, paid holidays and lots of growth opportunity!